Sunday, May 30, 2010

Changing Things Up

My friend Kara recently posted something on her blog about her arms. Guess she's had lots of people comment on them lately... myself included. Truth be told, I'm a bit green about her bod right now. My recent bought with the dark side certainly hasn't done anything great for my now 40-year-old body.

So, I took her suggestion and gave my local Crossfit a visit on Saturday morning. The fact that I can still feel the aftermath of the abuse three days later tells me something about my fitness. Interestingly enough, I hurt more and longer than I did after running the Eau Claire marathon a couple of weeks ago on what amounts to no training.

Run for three hours and 45 min. and feel nothing. Try something new for less than 30 min. and feel like I've been run over by a mac truck. Speaks to adaptation. It's the same reason you can find aerobics instructors who teach classes all day long, but don't look like it. Eventually you get diminishing returns when you do the same thing day after day.

My oldest is interested in rock climbing, something I haven't done much of since having kids. (Funny how something once really important can quickly diminish in significance upon the birth of our children!) So I'm hoping to put that back into my lineup, too.

Working on my summer schedule now and I plan to make it full of different activities. Because just like my kids, my body evidently gets bored and stubborn doing the same thing day after day. Guess it's time to look at camps and such now too... Any ideas for something totally unique?

No comments:

Post a Comment