Friday, May 22, 2009

I Wanna Get Me Some of That (Again)

Two years ago my husband and I spent Memorial Day weekend in the Grand Canyon. We did a run that not too many folks get a chance to do: the Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim. Technically, I guess we did a Rim-to-Rim run one day and another Rim-to-Rim run the next. We ran 20 miles the first day, starting off on South Kaibab Trail and ending up on the North Rim of the Canyon. I remember being terrified; not really knowing what to expect of the trails. But we made it to the other side through some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever set eyes on. From the top I felt tiny, but bold to be running the route we'd planned. Tony and I were both Canyon Virgins and it was great to go through the experience together as "newbies." Here's a little of what we saw:











When we surfaced on the other side we were wonderfully tired, walked a mile in our flip flops for beer, which we drank while heading back to our little cabin. We took a nap to the sweet sounds of a woodpecker just outside our window and had dinner at the restaurant that overlooks the canyon. We hit the hay almost too tired to sleep.

As we started out early the next day on our return run I remember thinking, "There is NO WAY I will be able to make it." But I did. We ran 24 miles back (up Bright Angel Trail), singing "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" and TV theme songs from our childhood. The trip was harder than a marathon, harder than an Ironman and yet it was, hands down, the best trip we've ever taken. Here's us after we finished. Exhausted, but not empty.

So here I am, two years later drinking a beer and toasting my husband who is back at the Canyon with three buddies, sharing our great experience. Well, they actually "one-upped" our trip by doing the entire run in one day... a real Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim experience. At first I was jealous. GREEN. Wished I had some girlfriends who might be up for such an adventure. But, this beer has got me thinking. When Tony and I got married, we told the priest that we wanted our marriage to make other people happy too. That we hoped our union would be good for the world and not just us. And really, we still think that way.

As Tony and his buddies toast their adventure with burgers and fries, I'm at home thankful. Thankful for our experience two years ago and thankful that Tony got out there again to try something new, to tackle another challenge. I feel so lucky to have him in my life, as my husband and the father of my girls. And I'm happy we get to share him with others.

You have any special experiences with a spouse or friend that made you realize how lucky you are to have him or her in your life? That made you excited to see them with others? I'd love to hear!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that part in your wedding and it is a beautiful thought and beautiful how you are putting it into action.

    I can think of many occasions in our 35 years of marriage when I had the privilege of sharing my husband - can't say I am always as gracious about it. But biggest one was when I was pregnant with Christina and we knew she would probably also come early as Colleen did. He spent the last four months of my pregnancy gone most of the time - home every third weekend - because he was determined to see this job through to the end in memory of the man who had been working on it for a long time and before its completion died of cancer. He was just darn lucky he happened to be home the weekend she was born, six weeks before her due date...

    ReplyDelete