Monday, November 21, 2011

Yoga In Action

My panties are in a bunch this morning. Nothing too life altering, except a general need to slow the world down a bit. Target is opening its doors for holiday shopping at midnight on Thanksgiving and I woke up to an e-mail that read, "Black Friday Deals Start Now." Feels like the freneticism of the holiday season is creeping into the outer edge of what was once considered an unspoken, yet sacred, lull.

Lucky for me, I went to a candlelight yoga class on Saturday night. Getting there on time was no easy task; it was our first real taste of winter in Minneapolis and the streets were like ice rinks. Despite the white-knuckled anxiety I felt getting there, once inside the studio I felt my body make an intentional, purposeful shift. My mind quickly followed. I found myself able to soften the chaos I knew was just outside the brick wall behind me; I was acutely aware of my ability to block out the unwanted noise in my life. Even if just for that moment.
Mind over matter. 

So today I'm going to put my yoga practice to work in everyday life. I'm going to focus on this moment and not worry about the chaos that is most certainly on the way. For me, this will mean making some very deliberate plans for today and, ultimately, our five day weekend. Trips to the science museum, nature center, and the pool will definitely be on the list. Some structure, lots of flexibility. 

Thank you, Yoga, my wise and always friend.

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

Namaste,

Laurie

What will you do to keep grounded during the holiday season? Start by checking out today's stop on the Hot (Sweaty) Mamas virtual book tour: Kate Hanley's Ms. MindBody. Kate's a yoga instructor, writer, speaker, and mom to two young children. Take a look around and check out her interview of my co-author and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment